Labels

Thursday 19 March 2015

Must have skills for every 11 year old

Little T joined Beavers last year and he thoroughly enjoys it. He loves nothing more than running through the door to tell me that he has several new badges for me to sew onto his uniform. He happily shows me as he knows I am not a massive fan of sewing them on. He beams with pride as he has worked hard to achieve each one. One badge I will be happy to sew on is the farm to fork badge. It is new partner badge launched by the Tesco Eat Happy Project in conjunction with the Scout Association.
The skills that the scouting volunteers thought that children should have by the age of 11 are:

1.     Know what to do in a first aid emergency
2.     Spend at least one night away camping
3.     Be part of a team
4.     Be able to make new friends
5.     Navigate a short trip with a map and compass
6.     Know how and when to call 999
7.     Know how to cook safely on an open fire
8.     Cook or prepare a healthy meal
9.     Know how to stay safe online
10.  Know how to tie three knots
11.  Tread water for three minutes in a vertical position 


The badge they receive is one I am sure all of the children will have fun achieving. I think it is really important for children to learn where our food comes from and how it is best prepared. At home we have chickens so all of my children know the process of how we get fresh eggs. I have also grown my own vegetables in the past and every time we have a roast we talk openly about what animal it comes from. As part of my college course I work with the farm animals, even delivering some lambs just last week so they know where our food comes from. 


Bear Grylls, Chief Scout said  “Many young people have lost touch with where their food actually comes from and it’s great that Tesco, in partnership with the Scouts, have created a Farm to Fork Trail that Beaver Scouts and Cub Scouts can go on that provides a meaningful way of reconnecting young people with what’s on their plates, and that knowledge and experience will stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives.” 
I have to whole heartily agree with him, not because I am a massive fan but because what he said is true. Often the food served up to them looks polar opposite to what it looked like in its raw state. Many children no longer spend the time in the kitchen with their parents, helping them prepare the meal. It is time we get back to basics and teach our children skills that they will carry with them into adult hood.


Watch the short video below to find out how the children learn about the foods we eat through the Tesco Eat Happy Project.




I can't wait for my own little Beaver to achieve his farm to fork badge.


No comments:

Post a Comment