Labels

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Salt Dough Santa Hand prints & Angel Foot Prints

Our Santa hand print, the colour on the beard is just the wet varnish
 I saw on Facebook a picture of Salt Dough Hand print that was painted with a Santa's face. I thought I would give it a go, I loved the thought of still having them in years to come & being able to see how tiny my children's hands were in 2012.

I used 2 cups of plain flour, 2 cups of ordinary table salt & 1 cup of water. This was enough to do 5 hand prints & a foot print so if you require less hand prints I would half the ingredients. Put the water, flour & salt all into a bowl & mix using a wooden spoon, once the dough starts to take shape ditch the spoon & knead with your hands(you might want to take any rings off). Once it is all kneaded well you can break off a ball & roll out onto a baking tray, carefully place your child's hand onto the dough taking care not to press too firmly or too lightly. Once you are happy with your print cut with a sharp Knife around the hand print leaving around 1cm. Make sure you create a hole at the top of the hand print so you are able to pass ribbon through once you have painted it. Put them in the oven for around 4 hours or till dry on gas mark 1/2 or 100c/200F

I used white emulsion paint as the base them I lightly pencil drawn the face & hat, I then coloured him in, once dry I added detailing with a black marker pen & then finished him off with a craft varnish spray.
I can not wait to put up my decorations & hang them along with a decoration that I made when I was just a small child.

I thought my son's foot print looked very much like an Angel so I painted on a little angel using 2 of the toes as feet. I think they all will look really cute & a great way to capture your children's hand & feet 








Tots100 Experience Days Competition

4 comments:

  1. awww these are lovely, i have done salt dough hand and foot prints with my son before, but these are extra cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am waiting for the handprints to dry then will give the footprints a try. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing. I might have to get crafty with my little girl :) You are also super talented. Your drawing skills are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really beautiful idea! Me and Bunny started make a homemade tree decoration each year - I thought the twins were too young to partake - but actually - I could do this with them! Thanks for sharing and for linking up! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete